13 November 2009

The Feast of St. John Chrysostom

Troparion of St John Chrysostom (Tone 8)

Grace shining forth from thy lips like a beacon hast enlightened the universe,

thou hast revealed to the world the riches of poverty and shown to us the height of humility.

Teaching us by thy words, O Father John Chrysostom,
intercede
before the Word, Christ our God, to save our souls.

Kontakion of St John Chrysostom (Tone 2)

From the heavens hast thou received divine grace,

and by thy lips thou dost teach all men to worship the one God in Trinity.
O John Chrysostom, all-blessed and righteous one,
rightly do we acclaim thee;

for thou art our teacher, revealing things divine.

Today's Lectionary Readings:

1 Thessalonians 2:14-19

14 For ye, brethren, became followers of the churches of God which in Judea are in Christ Jesus: for ye also have suffered like things from your own countrymen, even as they [have] from the Jews: 15 Who both killed the Lord Jesus, and their own prophets, and have persecuted us; and they please not God, and are contrary to all men: 16 Forbidding us to speak to the Gentiles that they may be saved, to fill up their sins always: for the wrath is come upon them to the uttermost. 17 But we, brethren, being taken from you for a short time in presence, not in heart, endeavored the more abundantly to see your face with great desire. 18 Wherefore we would have come to you, even I Paul, once and again; but Satan hindered us. 19 For what [is] our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? [Are] not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?

Luke 13:31-35

31 The same day there came certain of the Pharisees, saying to him, Go out, and depart hence; for Herod will kill thee. 32 And he said to them, Go ye and tell that fox, Behold, I cast out demons, and I do cures to-day and to-morrow, and the third [day] I shall be perfected. 33 Nevertheless, I must walk to-day and to-morrow, and the [day] following: for it cannot be that a prophet should perish out of Jerusalem. 34 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, that killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent to thee; how often would I have gathered thy children, as a hen [gathereth] her brood under [her] wings, and ye would not! 35 Behold, your house is left to you desolate. And verily I say to you, ye shall not see me, until [the time shall] come when ye shall say, Blessed [is] he that cometh in the name of the Lord.


One of the Prayers in Preparation for Holy Communion, by St. John Chrysostom:

O Lord my God, I know that I am not worthy nor sufficient that thou shouldest enter under my roof into the habitation of my soul, for it is all deserted and in ruins, and thou hast not a fitting place in me to lay thy head. But as from the heights of thy glory thou didst humble thyself, so now bear me in my humility; as thou didst deign to lie in a manger in a cave, so deign now also to come into the manger of my mute soul and corrupt body. As thou didst not refrain from entering into the house of Simon the leper, or shrink from eating there with sinners, so also vouchsafe to enter the house of my poor soul, all leprous and full of sin. Thou didst not reject the sinful woman who ventured to draw near to touch thee, so also have pity on me, a sinner, approaching to touch thee. And grant that I may partake of thine All-holy Body and Precious Blood for the sanctification, enlightenment and strengthening of my weak soul and body; for the relief from the burden of my many sins; for my preservation against all the snares of the devil; for victory over all my sinful and evil habits; for the mortification of my passions; for obedience to thy Commandments; for growth in thy divine Grace and for the inheritance of thy Kingdom. For it is not with careless heart that I approach thee, O Christ my God, but I come trusting in thine infinite goodness, and fearing lest I may be drawn afar from thee and become the prey of the wolf of souls. Wherefore I pray thee, O Master, who alone art holy, that thou wouldest sanctify my soul and body, my mind and heart and reins, and renew me entirely. Implant in my members the fear of thee, be thou my helper and guide, directing my life in the paths of peace, and make me worthy to stand at thy right hand with thy Saints; through the prayers and intercessions of thine immaculate Mother, of thy Bodiless Servitors, of the immaculate Powers, and of all the Saints who from all ages have been well-pleasing unto thee. Amen.

No comments: